Monday, April 4, 2011

Chapters 5-6

The beginning of chapter 5 has to be the most boring part of the whole entire book. Its talks why new media favor database form over others? I’m graphic interface person, I really don’t care about database collection. But, the data stored database plays a huge role in new media, it organize you documents and makes it a fast search and retrievable by any computer. Giving the user the ability to view, navigate, and search. CD-ROMs, floppies, DVD and other digital storage media are forms of the “virtual museums” genre, becoming a database of images representing its holdings, which can be accessed in many ways: chronologically, by artist or by the type. When I read this I automatic thought about my itunes music. I have over 1,000 songs and by many different artists. It will be extremely difficult for me to keep track of my music, but because of the data plan my music is easy assessable, and plus I will be able to burn CDs of my music to play in the car.

Unlike chapter five, chapter six is more of my speed. It talks the relationship between video games, computer applications, and cinema. Movies should be the birth of the art of motion, and creating illusion of dynamic reality. Manovich talks about, if we approach cinema in this way rather that art of audio visual narrative, the possibilities can be endless. Personally agree, take look at the Avatar, Star Wars, and even Lord of the Rings. All of these movies won awards due to their motion picture. For each movie, there are games that inmate the movie with the same graphics, giving the gamer the same satisfaction as watching the movie. Overall I truly enjoyed this book because Manovich provide great examples to explain his main idea. With his illustration, made me generate my own example to what I see in everyday life. How the computer is used today, and made me realize the different possibilities of the computer software.

2 comments:

  1. I think you miss, then, what is probably the most important point of the whole book. What is the point of interface design, if you have no sense of what you are interfacing to? Understanding the logic of databases helps us to understand the nature of new media interfaces, and their potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the last part of the book the best too, I think it's because we can all relate seeing the movies since they are within the last ten years or so of production.

    ReplyDelete